You are unable to start or boot Windows XP normally and receive the following error message.
Windows XP Error Message – “ Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM.
Select “r” at the first screen to start repair.
Fix for Windows XP cannot boot because of missing or corrupt file:
1) Insert the original Windows XP bootable setup CD-ROM in your computer.
2) Start your computer
3) In the Windows XP Setup dialog box, press ENTER - To setup Windows now
4) Press F8 to accept the Windows Licensing Agreement
5) Windows will examine your system and detect the corrupt Windows XP installation. The corrupt installation will be selected by default.
6) Press R on your computer keyboard to repair the selected Windows XP installation
7) Windows XP Setup will copy files required to repair your computer from the CD-ROM
8) Allow the setup process to complete. This could take up to one hour. Your laptop may reboot during the Windows repair process.
9) You will be prompted to confirm the Regional and Language Options settings during the Windows XP repair process. Confirm or change the settings, and press Next to continue the repair.
10) Windows Setup will complete the repair process, and your computer can now boot normally. You will not lose any of your data on the computer. Your Windows preferences will also be preserved.